Skip to content Accessibility info

Earthquake and Flood Insurance

Earthquake and Flood Insurance

You may not be aware that your regular homeowner or mobile home insurance policy does not cover earthquakes or floods. You need a separate policy for each of these types of coverage. 

Furthermore, many people believe they do not need earthquake or flood insurance, when in fact they do. Consider these facts: 

  • An increase in severe storms recently has resulted in an uptick in flooding, especially in coastal areas. 
  • Often, it is not the storm itself but the resultant flooding that ruins homes and makes them uninhabitable.
  • Over the next 30 years, there is a 70 percent probability that an earthquake of a magnitude of 6.7 or greater will occur in the San Francisco area. 
  • There is a strong chance of 40 to 60 percent that a major earthquake will strike the eastern United States in the next two decades. 
  • The Midwest may also see a major earthquake in the next 15 years, as there is a large fault line that runs through that region. 
  • Most people are unprepared for earthquakes and floods in their locales, even if they have occurred there before. 

Earthquake Insurance

We can help you find the right earthquake insurance for your needs. Depending on the policy you get, you would likely get coverage for damage to your home and other structures, like your garage, as well as the contents of your home, and additional living expenses if you are displaced. It may also cover sinking, mudslides, and the like, although earthquake coverage does not include damage from tidal waves, floods, or tsunamis. You should talk about the particulars of your earthquake policy coverage with your agent. 

Flood Insurance

If you live in a flood-prone area, you may be eligible for flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), created in 1968 by Congress. This program offers flood insurance to homeowners, businesses, and renters if their community meets certain FEMA requirements to reduce the risk of flooding. 

Flood insurance covers covers both a building and its contents.


  • Building and foundation
  • Plumbing and electrical
  • HVAC systems
  • Built-in appliances and refrigerators
  • Permanently installed carpeting


  • Clothing
  • Furniture
  • Electronics
  • Portable window air conditioning units
  • Portable appliances, like microwave ovens
  • Other carpeting
  • Clothes washers and dryers

Usually, replacement cost value (RCV) is used to reimburse homeowners for up to 80 percent of their dwelling’s replacement cost. 

Actual cash value (ACV) is used to determine the replacement cost of personal property in a damaged home. This is calculated by figuring the RCV minus physical depreciation for wear and tear with use. 

Contact Canyon Pacific Insurance Services at 760-324-4100 today to discuss your needs for earthquake and/or flood insurance. We’ll help you find the most affordable policies with the right coverage for your situation. We’ll also provide valuable tips to help you and your family create a disaster plan, in case of the worst. We can’t control Mother Nature, but we can be as prepared as possible with the right information and the proper insurance policies.